Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Life Changing Decision....

Adam and I were talking the other night about a friend of his and how he's heading back up to Mayo with his wife. Basically her liver is dead. Which to me was very sad to hear. Both are such wonderful people. I told Adam I had the blood type that I could give to anyone but could only receive from my same blood type...which I believe is O...? I'd have to check my donor card. We talked and more than likely she'll have to have a liver transplant, if they can find a match. So I made a decision today and it's one that I hope can help change someone's life. I was already an organ donor if I died... but today I made it to be a living donor as well.

It was somewhat scary to read about all of the risks and that, but if it could help make someone's life better it would be worth it.

One bonus was that they have a section where you can put in a specific person's name you wish to donate to. I made a note that if her name passed through that I would be willing to be tested to see if I was a match. The material that I read said they don't take much of your liver and you're able to grow it back...so that's kind of neat.

When my dad's cousin Dave and Adam's Grandpa Willis passed away they were both organ donors. I now wear my green "bracelet" each day to remind me of what they did for a stranger. Willis had parts of the bones in his arms and legs donated to cancer patients. How wonderful is that? If the recipient starts to square dance around the room...we should probably be concerned since Willis loved to square dance. :-)

It would be great to see what a difference your organ donation could make for someone while you're still alive, but even if it's after I'm gone it's worth it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment